One of the “Three Cs” (along with Cascade and Columbus), Centennial hops were bred in 1974 but not released to the general public until 1990. Centennial are a cross between many varieties including Brewer’s Gold.
- Typical Use : Both bittering and aroma
- Alpha Acid : 9 to 12% AAU
- Origination : USA
- Commercial Examples : Stone IPA, Racer 5 IPA
- Characteristics : Citrus, leaning toward lemon and pine
- Styles : Most Ale styles.
Similar Hops : Columbus, Cascade (often referred to as “Super Cascade” due to the strong citrus aroma)